This week I've been getting more into creating expressions as I build on my FACS knowledge. Just been sculpting a head as per usual, then simply setting a morph target inside ZBrush and pushing and pulling until I get a suitable look to the face. I'm thinking for the remaining five weekdays of January, I'll continue to do a sculpt with expressions each day, but drop these over February to focus more on my rigging abilities. Originally, I set a time limit of two hours to sculpt these heads, but gradually these have started to take three to four hours as I try and squeeze polypainting, rendering, and compositing into the mix - eating into time I need to be spending elsewhere.
Slow start to the new year after being sick and taking a couple of weeks off to rest, but back into it now. I'm doing the usual five head sculpts a week while working between a few other projects - including learning the Facial Action Coding System, a collection of rigs for a games project in the Unreal Engine, and a rig for a character I recently made. More updates on those soon... for now, here's some more busts...
Been forgetting to add this to the archives for a while now... introducing my final year undergraduate film, "The Belvedere Double." I finished work on this around about November 2013. I spent eight months on the short doing everything from script writing and pre-vis through to post-production on my lonesome, getting tripped up at just about every obstacle on the way. It was a fantastic experience. Sure, there were a heap of 3am bedtimes with 6am wake-ups, but it forced me into a lot of corners where I had to step out of my comfort zone to learn something new, and was a good gauge on how far I could push myself and still manage to function as a normal human being.
There's a whole pile of amateur-level things going on - the stiff animation (courtesy of my terrible old rig), the poor pacing, the weak ending - but I'm proud of it for what it is. I went back and tried to fix a few of these problems after I'd finished the version uploaded below, but ran out of steam. I replaced the weird modern hubcap in the intro with a 50's era one, and modelled, rigged, and animated some crows squawking and carrying on outside the windows in the first two shots, but after all that I ran into some major headaches with the render farm and decided to just call it a day.
Big thanks to Darren Whyte for capturing and adding sound to the short! You can see more of Darren's work here: https://soundcloud.com/static-structures